On April 19, 2013 I took my mom and grandmother to Disneyland. I have never felt so proud in my life than in the moment that tears streamed down my mother’s cheeks during the 10:30pm Fantasmic show. As the wonders that we experienced together throughout my childhood came to life above the river before the Haunted Mansion we both giggled uncontrollably, unable to actually believe that we were finally there.
Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to visit Disney, not unlike any other child. However, I did not have the opportunity to make my first trip until recently. In participating in the Collegiate DECA ICDC this last week in Anahiem, I was finally granted the chance to make my dreams come true. Albeit the beginning of the adventure didn’t go as planned, the fireworks and light show sealed the deal for us and I wasn’t too proud to cry about it.
It was that night that I realized how blessed I have been my entire life. There have always been things that I’ve wanted, but never anything that I needed and have had to live without. Those things that I have wanted have always eventually come true for me, from going to school on the East Coast to being able to study abroad, graduating with Honors and even starting my own business. Disneyland was just the reminder. I find it hard to sum up what I’m trying to say here, but Disney… Disney warmed my heart in a way that no other trip or park could have. It reminded me that with a dream and hard work and an ineptitude to give up ANYTHING can come true.
Disneyland doesn’t seem so far fetched now, but when I was younger I never believed that I would get the opportunity to visit. Never in a million years did I think that I would be able to afford something as grand nor pay for my mother and grandmother to experience it along side me, but I have worked my ass off in these last years and it feels good to see something come from it. More than a degree or a job, I was able to watch my mother’s face light up and finally see those fireworks behind Cinderella’s castle. And I feel as though that’s all I’ve ever really wanted.
… It doesn’t hurt to have written and presented one of the top five business proposals at the International Career Development Conference either.
Don't ever hesitate. Reblog this. TUMBLR RULE. When you see it, REBLOG IT.
- The original post only has US helplines. I've added UK helplines underneath. It would be great if people could add numbers from everywhere in the world.
- Depression Hotline: 1-630-482-9696
- Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433
- LifeLine: 1-800-273-8255
- Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386
- Sexuality Support: 1-800-246-7743
- Eating Disorders Hotline: 1-847-831-3438
- Rape and Sexual Assault: 1-800-656-4673
- Grief Support: 1-650-321-5272
- Runaway: 1-800-843-5200, 1-800-843-5678, 1-800-621-4000
- Exhale: After Abortion Hotline/Pro-Voice: 1-866-4394253
- Child Abuse: 1-800-422-4453
- UK Helplines:
- Samaritans (for any problem): 08457909090 e-mail email@example.com
- Childline (for anyone under 18 with any problem): 08001111
- Mind infoline (mental health information): 0300 123 3393 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mind legal advice (for people who need mental-health related legal advice): 0300 466 6463 email@example.com
- b-eat eating disorder support: 0845 634 14 14 (only open Mon-Fri 10.30am-8.30pm and Saturday 1pm-4.30pm) e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- b-eat youthline (for under 25's with eating disorders): 08456347650 (open Mon-Fri 4.30pm - 8.30pm, Saturday 1pm-4.30pm)
- Cruse Bereavement Care: 08444779400 e-mail: email@example.com
- Frank (information and advice on drugs): 0800776600
- Drinkline: 0800 9178282
- Rape Crisis England & Wales: 0808 802 9999 1(open 2 - 2.30pm 7 - 9.30pm) e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rape Crisis Scotland: 08088 01 03 02 every day, 6pm to midnight
- Some Italian numbers, I'm sorry they're not all.
- Telefono Amico (for support in case of depression, solitude, all kind of emotional needs): 199 284 284 (every day, 10am - 24pm)
- Telefono Azzurro (for kids and teenagers): 1 96 96 (24h a day, 365 days a year); 114 (for immediate danger, 24h every day)
- Antiviolenza Donne (for women victims of any sort of violence): 1522 (24h every day)
- Alcolisti Anonimi (Alcoholics anonymous): 06 66.36.620